Monday, September 5, 2011

Attached to virtual objects

One of the most attractive things about MMO worlds are the objects you get to acquire; whether it be armor, or homes that you set up, or even pets, there is always something that you get attached to. And if you don't get attached to something in a game you generally find that you don't stick around for too long.

For me, in World of Warcraft, it was a pet owl named Jimmy. I named this owl after my pet lorikeet. He was the first pet that I got in game when I reached level 70, the then level cap in Burning Crusades. This pet became a Guild icon in our raids and was a subject of conversation after many Boss defeats. Jimmy often got credit for the high dps that hunters were able to put out. It couldn't have possibly been me ... must have been my pet Jimmy :P



When Wrath of the Lynch King came out, Blizzard in their wisdom decided to completely change the class of pet that Jimmy was. He was no longer a dps pet, he was a cunning pet, specifically designed for pvp, having little to no benefit in raids. Around the same time, my real life pet Jimmy the lorekeet passed away and I decided to release my Word of Warcraft pet in a sanctuary within the game. I made a personal pledge to myself that I would never use Jimmy again, unless Blizzard did something really cool, like make him a spirit beast.


I had actually quite WoW for more than four months (earlier in 2011) but I decided to use Blizzard's free 7 day trial to check out the new content they emailed me about. When I found out about the spirit beast owl, I realized it was a must-have for me. Although I'm not going to play anywhere near the amount that I used to, I must say that it is a real draw card to have something like an in-game pet that you are attached to.


I've been lucky enough to see Ban'thalos three times now. The first time a Horde hunter thought it would be a good idea to serpent sting it as I was trying to tame, preventing me from doing so, so he could get the tame after it killed me. The second time I managed to tame it myself and name him Jimmy. And again yesterday I found him and helped another hunter tame him.

What in-game object, place or pet are you attached to? Let us know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment